Did you know that the foam, steel, wood, and cotton from old mattresses can be recycled and turned into everyday products? Up to 80% of an old mattress can be recycled!
The Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley ReStores have partnered with The Mattress Recycling Council’s Bye Bye Mattress Program to establish a permanent mattress drop-off location at the Habitat ReStore in Oakland.
No Mattress Pickups
Help ReStore save all those usable materials from a landfill by recycling your used mattress today! Just stop on by, drop your mattress with our staff, and we will take care of the rest!
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore Oakland
- 9235 San Leandro St.
- Oakland, CA 94603
- Drop Off Hours
- Tuesday – Saturday
- 9:30am – 4:30pm
- Drop off up to five mattresses without appointment for free
- An appointment is required to drop off 5 or more mattresses. To schedule a drop-off appointment, please call 408-712-5104
What can be recycled?
- Mattresses: which are defined to include any sleep surface covered with ticking or fabric that contains resilient material, such as steel innersprings, foam, fiber, or other filling or upholstery materials, used alone or in combination, regardless of size or shape, except for those products listed below.
- Box springs (also commonly called Foundations): which are defined to include a ticking- or fabric-covered structure used to support a mattress or sleep surface.
Products that are NOT eligible for free drop-off include:
- Items that are wet, heavily soiled or infested with bedbugs
- Air mattresses that contain no upholstery material (such as camping beds)
- Car beds
- Cushions (such as from chairs, couches or patio furniture)
- Juvenile products including crib mattresses, carriages, baskets, dressing tables, strollers, playpens, infant carriers, lounge pad, crib bumpers
- Mattress pads
- Mattress toppers
- Sleeping bags
- Sofa beds and futons
- Collapsible roll-away beds
- Water beds that contain no upholstery material
Find a mattress recycling site near you at ByeByeMattress.com