Earth Day is April 22 but we’re celebrating all month long! The green benefits of donating and shopping with ReStore break down into three parts: donations divert waste from the dump, shopping enables reuse, and all proceeds build green homes.
Every year, the US dumps millions of tons of usable items and materials in landfills. These items come from small businesses and corporate offices, construction sites, renters and homeowners. The landfill often appears to be the best option for organizations without time to liquidate, for families in the midst of relocating, or contractors looking to save money. However, the reality is that landfills are expensive, inconvenient, and unsustainable.
ReStore provides an alternative. If you or your business have usable goods and are considering a trip to the dump or liquidation, keep reading! First, ReStore offers free pickups for accepted donations (of sufficient size). Second, tax credits earned from eligible donations may be worth more than liquidation value. And third, every donation to ReStore supports Habitat for Humanity and our mission to build affordable housing in the Bay Area.
Thanks to our amazing shoppers and donors, ReStores in Oakland, San Jose, and Concord diverted a combined 4,800 tons of usable home improvement items from landfills in 2020!
Skip the Dump: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Producing new things, from high-performance building products to designer furniture, requires raw materials and energy for production and transportation. Reducing consumption helps to decrease the emissions created from mining, producing, and transportation. When reducing consumption isn’t an option, always try to buy used, and when you buy used, always check ReStore. Here are just a few reasons ReStore is worth a visit:
- Save 25% to 75% on a variety of used goods
- Our selection is huge – ReStore carries hardware, appliances, décor, furniture of all kinds, and more
- Get great deals on new and nearly new items donated by local businesses with overstock and floor models that can’t be sold at the retailer
ReStore Oakland is also a really convenient place to recycle. Stopping by to shop? Bring your used paint, mattresses, and clothes to recycle with our partner nonprofits!
Building Green with Habitat
Every purchase at ReStore helps fund Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley and our mission to build affordable housing. Habitat aims to maximize impact with minimum footprint and builds holistically. This means considering where we build and how we build, to stay on the leading edge of affordable green building.
- Building near BART and bus lines gives homeowners access to green transportation options
- Site designed to include electric vehicle charging capability for residents
- Bicycle racks and locks provide year-round weather-proof storage
- Native landscaping
- Promotes efficient water use and minimizes the potential for the spread of non-native species
- Green Construction
- Habitat’s construction practices have earned certification through Built it Green’s GreenPoint Rated Protocol and through the US Green Building Council’s LEED Certification program
- Zero-Net Energy
- Esperanza Place, our 42-home development in Walnut Creek, brings all our innovative techniques together in our most sustainable development to date— the first to meet California’s new 2020 Zero Net Energy standards
- The roofs of Habitat homes are crowned with solar panels to increase efficiency and cut costs
Skip that trip to the dump and join ReStore in celebrating Earth Day this April and support a greener future for the Bay Area!