In accordance with the “shelter in place” order for six Bay Area counties, our three ReStores in Oakland, San Jose, and Concord will be closed until further notice. Future updates will be posted here and on our Facebook page.
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT & CEO, JANICE JENSEN, ON COVID-19
Dear ReStore family,
Our work at Habitat for Humanity is about community. We bring people together to build a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
In the face of growing concerns over the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we want to ensure – first and foremost – the health and safety of this community while continuing to work toward our mission.
As this situation evolves, we are closely monitoring advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local agencies. We will continually update this message with any new information about actions and recommendations, including postponement of events and volunteerism if warranted.
Currently, all our volunteer sites and ReStores are open, and ReStore is still accepting Pick-Up and Drop-Off donations. However, to protect the health of our volunteers, clients, and staff, we are taking the following measures and recommending the following precautions:
- Per CDC recommendations, anyone who is exhibiting cold, flu, fever, or respiratory illness symptoms is asked to refrain from joining a Habitat event or build or visiting a Habitat ReStore or office until you are free of such symptoms for at least 24-48 hours without the use of medication.
- Similarly, anyone who has potentially been exposed to the virus through travel to one of the areas designated by the CDC as level 3 or on a cruise ship, is also asked to refrain from joining a Habitat event or build or visiting a Habitat ReStore or office. Additionally, please refrain if a member of your household or close contact has potentially been exposed.
- If you belong to a higher-risk group, we recommend that you refrain from volunteering until the virus has been well contained. Higher-risk populations include older adults and those with serious chronic medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease.
- Our ReStore and Habitat staff members are following these same health and safety protocols.
- Please let us know if you decide not to volunteer as previously planned, so that we can adjust accordingly. When you are feeling well, please reschedule your volunteer day – we’d love to have you out with us when you are feeling your best.
- We are observing heightened cleaning and sanitization practices in all volunteer venues, and at our ReStores. We are ensuring easy access to handwashing stations, and we encourage volunteers to bring their own alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- We are limiting gatherings and reducing volunteer numbers to allow for social distancing at all volunteer venues. When volunteering, maintain appropriate distance from others.
- Handwashing is your best protection! Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, especially upon arrival at site, after using the restroom, before and after eating, after blowing your nose or coughing or sneezing, and before leaving site.
- If you do need to cough or sneeze, turn away from others, and cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue. Dispose of any tissues and wash your hands afterward.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, or face.
We know that many are feeling concerned about this virus, and your health and safety are our top priority. We will continue to follow the best available advice, and to listen to our community, as the situation progresses. Please know that the above protocols may change as we receive more information about the situation. In the meantime, we thank you for helping us keep our community healthy today, so that we can keep building a stronger tomorrow.
If you have questions regarding volunteering, shopping or donating to the ReStore, or visiting our Oakland or Milpitas office, please refer to our Contact Us page to find a staff member who can help you.
Yours in partnership,
President & CEO, Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley